Thursday, November 17, 2011

Progress is being made...

It's been decided for me...the "combination" door that I created will be the front door for this house.  My DH really loved it and so did a great mini-friend...plus out of my choices it was definitely my favorite too!

In addition to the decision regarding the door, I was also able to get a few other things done. 
I had mentioned before that I might change out the floor color stain.  I did.

I decided that if I was really going to go "country farmhouse", then those red-orangey floors didn't blend well at all.  I had been stuck on Minwax Golden Oak 210B for the floors...
Then I got a kick of inspiration from another blogger, (coincidentally working on a 1/2scale house too!)... I changed it up and went with Minwax Provincial 211...
I am VERY happy with the early results.  I still have to sand and stain again, and sand and poly, but the color is perfect and I'm super happy with how it's coming along!!!

The stair stringer to this house is MDF and the stair treads are wood.  Mainly because I can never get MDF to stain the way I like I decided to paint the stringer white (so the risers are white) and stain the treads the Provincial.  I was very happy with how the treads came out as well.  The kit did not provide railings or spindles so I'm working on what to do as I would like to add them. 

Replacing the staircase to this house with the Houseworks 1/2scale staircase kit was not an option.  First off it's out of my budget.  Secondly, when I had first started this house, I had ordered one and dry fitted it in place.  Problem #1 is that it's too wide, and problem #2 is that it's too tall.  There would have been many improvises to make and it seemed like a waste of time and money to do.  So I sold the staircase kit to another mini-friend and kept the original. 

My theory behind this is, that while it does matter right now, during the building process, it really won't make a difference come the time when the house is all put-together, and the staircase is pretty much hidden(as I have still some more grand plans for it), it really won't matter to anyone but me!

No comments:

Post a Comment