Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Bay Window... Pt. I

A big feature that drew me to this particular house was the bay window.  I'm a huge fan of natural light in real-life and always wanted a bay window in my own house, having it in miniature is pretty close to the next best thing. 

After priming I had cleaned it up a bit with some stucco to help make the seams less notice-able.  The middle interior frames, (the areas with the grids) are removeable, (I assume for ease of painting), but thus made horrible seams.  I wanted them covered up...  

I sanded and repainted, and then worked a bit on the interior side.  This photo below shows the two gaps where the interior frames meet the main frame.   
I presently have them filled them with some spare strip wood cut to size.  This may not be the final outcome for this part of the window, I wish to also fill the middle area of each frame with a piece of strip wood also.  I'm working out a better solution though, something more smooth-looking, but it works fine for right now. 
You will notice above that the strip wood does not come all the way down to the base of the window.  That is because before I had started the above process, and while the frames were still detached from the main window, I had taken a Foamie and made a template for a window seat.  I will end up re-doing this later with another foamie added and then cover it with some decorative fabric.  These two mid-pieces I created will sit on top of the window seat that will eventually be there...
I still have to cut interior trim for around the bay as it was not provided, but that's the easy part! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment