Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My Mom's Half Scale Bungalow...(part IV)

Last post on my mom's 1/24 scale RGT Bungalow~

This had to be the most fun part of the build for me.  And I can't tell you why. 

I opted not to use the shingles that came with the kit, I went for the Greenleaf "Speedy Strip" shingles, (my first time shingling after all)...something that was "speedy" and "strips" I couldn't go wrong!  I had always wanted a house with red-er shingles...I liked the look of them, and when I bought the stain, Gunstock by Minwax, I thought I was golden.  Staining the shingles was a breeze...they are literally strips...so the stain went on very easily.  I kept the original packaging for them and re-tied them to it once the stain was dried...to keep them from warping...

Now, looking at the shingles here, they don't look too crazy to me, right?

GL shingles have a "burned" side because they are laser cut,
I opted to stain this side because I liked it better

Now here, they look a little crazy right? 
Not sure I would use that color stain again!
Once the shingles were stained and added, I mounted the house to it's base.  A piece of plywood cut to size and fitted with grass and felt on the bottom.

I then landscaped it...

The flower beds are made with glue, coffee grounds(I used fresh ones) and flowers from Michaels that I cut.  This is how my mom wanted the flower beds done...LOTS of color she said...

I then added some trees...
these are all from the railroad section at HobbyLobby.
You will notice we opted not to add the porch beams
(just a personal choice)
I think the house came out pretty nice all together, I'm quite happy, and I know my mom was very happy. 

Hope you enjoyed...

Next post will be more of my "creations"

3 comments:

  1. Its a wonderful house. I love the roof and the flower beds are gorgeous. Fantastic work.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely house! Great landscaping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see the Bungalow back on here!!

    ReplyDelete