Friday, May 11, 2012

Foundation Time! ~

I am done playing for now...I guess.  It is great fun for me to bring out all my furniture and see how it will look, it starts to make it the experience seem real.  I am so close to having the first floor up and ready to go that it won't be long now!

In order to get the first floor walls up I need to finish the foundation. 

I started work on the addition foundation first.  Remembering that the addition will be built separately from the rest of the house, the foundation needs to be consistent all the way around.  I played around with the idea of some sort of bricking, but then came up with stucco.  You can either buy stucco grit mix, use sand, purchase pre-made dollhouse stucco or plain old spackle will do also. 

I had on hand some Mortar Mix and the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to use it as is.  I had primed and sanded the pieces before assembly so all I did was to put up a coat of dark tan all around, making it consistent and not wanting any white to peek through.  I then painted on the mortar mix with a stiff bristle brush.

I did only two sides of the addition foundation and then let it dry to see how it looks...I'm quite happy with the outcome. 
I think it looks just like concrete, (a typical foundation where I live)...and won't distract too much from the rest of the house.  I coated everything once with a coat of Polycrylic, (a water-based polyurethane), so it wouldn't turn yellowish over time.  I'm going to add a second coat so it will get a nice strong seal to it...and once that's finished I can put the final coat of paint onto the nosing and attach...then up go the walls!!! :)

1 comment: