Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Windows and Doors and Pediments...Oh My! Part I

The best thing(I think) about the Real Good Toys kits are that the windows and (exterior) doors are included on almost every kit (shell kits excluded).  With these components included and the quality of the kits and the (often) reasonable pricing on them makes them a stand-out brand - at least in my book! 

However, sometimes the windows and doors are just not "up to par" we'll say.  For instance, on almost every single RGT house, I've planned to change out the front door.  While there really is nothing wrong with the door quality wise, it's just not the look that I want for my house, and this house will be no exception. 

Typical standard door
Deciding on a door will be easy, once I choose the style of the windows.  I've worked with the Batrie line of houses by RGT before, and that means assembling the windows from pieces supplied...meaning that they are very easily changed/altered if desired.  I knew that I wanted to dress the house up a little bit with the windows, but changing out the supplied windows to a full window is not an option within the budget.  The next best choice is to change out the pediments...here are my options...




Deerfield Pediment - Cute!!!  However a little too fancy!









Federal-Style Hooded Pediment - Um, NO! (You can include the Federal-Circle style too!)









Yorktown - looks like this is my option...








So if the Yorktown pediments on the windows are the way to go, then the Yorktown door is where I will be headed with the front door... I am going to order the Yorktown door, but I also own a Deerfield door, so I may go ahead with that, depending on how that door looks with the pediments I chose. 
Next are the dormer windows.  I do not know the dormer window measurements just yet, but looking at assembled house from the internet, I'm not a fan. 


They just seem so skimpy to me, I plan to beef them up a little, altering them to fit these dormer windows, (which will match the pediments I chose).  

I want to create a small seat on the opposite side of the window, but knowing that this is the third floor, there is plenty of time to get to it (and that basic round tower window!!!) :)

I earned some nice Bonus Dollars with my kit order, but I am waiting for the next sale to get these items...  hopefully the house will arrive before they do!!! :)  To my loyal followers who read my posts more than I think you do, thank you and for your dedication, I promise you soon, that my pictures and work are coming!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment