Friday, April 13, 2012

The Conservatory... (Part I)

I had opened up the box of parts for the Foxhall Conservatory and was a little disappointed when I really looked at them.  Unfortunately my big plan of making a conservatory on the side of the house off the kitchen, (to make into a dining room), is just not going to work. 

The walls of the conservatory are on the left and the Newport side wall is on the right...

The difference in the wall heights are way too much for me to figure out how to work with, so back into the box the conservatory went.  I've decided to come up with a new plan.

Last year my DH had me order a garage door kit for my *surprise* Woodstock, thinking I would turn the Mansard addition into a garage/man cave for the house. 


Ultimately I wouldn't have done that because my floor plan called for a different room using that addition kit, so the garage door went into the "To-Be-Sold" pile.  While it didn't work out with the Woodstock, it might work out with the Newport.  

I've done some poking around online at different bricked houses while in the planing stage, trying to get a feel for the contrast colors I want to use and any inspiration I could come upon.  I kept going back to the Home Alone movie house as my inspiration.  I know that there was a garage with this house, but it's not really featured too well. 

So I did some more digging online and found a great inspiration photo for my garage online...I like this all bricked one, thinking that it would be great to try to reproduce.   
While I intend to create a garage, I am not going to exactly replicate this one.  I have no intention of peaking my roof, (it will be flat) and I don't want a 2nd floor on it.  I do like the side door and pathway, the window, the transition in front of the garage door, the all white trim against the brick and the grayed shingles.  These are elements that I fully intend to incorporate into my design. 
So we are back to the drawing board, how to create this?

In the build of the house on the right side, (looking from the front), the walls are shorter than the left side walls.  I quickly found that if I took these two shorter walls, (first and second floor) and put them together, it would give me a side and front wall for a garage!

Shorter side walls used as front and side wall(and me propping my garage door!)
Front of garage

I am happy right now with the proportion of the door to the wall siz, however I need to complete the first floor dry-fit, (which I haven't gotten to just yet) to make sure I'm happy with the proportion size of the "garage" to the house...I also need to plan out a roof and floor...(which will probably be plywood from Home Depot.  I'm hoping that it will size up nicely and compliment the house well. 

What the interior will look like... (my DD likes it!)
However because these walls are rather critical to the actual build :P  I need to reorder them from the manufacturer.  Trying to mimic them or re-create them in any way is not going to work for me, as I'm too particular!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment