Thursday, April 26, 2012

My Mom's Half Scale Bungalow...(part I)

So the first thing I will do is show my mom's 1/24 scale RGT Bungalow that I made. 

I will start with some construction photos, so if you are about to work on this house, you can get a feel for some things I encountered...

Look how small!!!  This is the front wall panel, right out of the packaging!


My next few photos will show the importance of dry-fitting!

Here is the foundation...(assembled with wood glue)
This is how it attaches to the first floor...

This is how you fix it when you've stained the first floor when glue won't stick to stain!

This is how you fix your porch and attach your walls when you realize it's all part of the first floor...
*Tip: a well used dremel gets the stain off, and then your walls will glue in place!

This jumps ahead a bit, but it's to highlight the same issue...

Same thing with the 2nd floor...
If you can't tell I jumped like 5steps ahead and started staining the floors before doing a dry-fit.  And this particular house is a great example of why that's such a bad thing.  Unlike other RGT houses this one builds on itself, parts need to be glued onto other parts to construct the house, and glue does not stick well to stained/poly'd pieces.  So be sure to dry-fit, at least once, so you can get an idea for how the build goes together. 

Here is the first floor assembled with some trimming taped in place...
Here are some of the components that came with the kit, and some I added...

Here is the trim pieces that I pre-stained waiting for me to use them...

Windows and doors that I added that were not part of the original kit

Two interior doors with hardware that I added 

New front door

It was hard for me to believe that all these pieces...

 Would turn into this...

Tomorrow ~ First Floor
Monday ~ Second Floor

1 comment: