Friday, April 6, 2012

Grace and Enthusiasm... and Making Room...

Grace and enthusiasm are how I'm starting out this post today.  Thank you to my loyal fans who sent such wonderful words that inspired me to take the preverbial "high road" and address any issues with how I was feeling about blogging, first hand and right from the start.  And grace and enthusiasm are what I was met with and for that not only is my mind at ease, but the reception with which my "letter" was met, was very much appreciated... ;)

I'm going to go back to my very first Newport kit for a minute here, and then elaborate on my "new" Newport kit, (still yet to arrive).

My very first dollhouse kit (that I purchased to make) was a RGT Newport, I even had a blog about it!  I got it in October-ish of 2009 after I was let go from my full-time job and became a mommy to my DD.  She was only about 5ish months old and I had talked DH into letting me do this now so she could have it later on down the road.  Not knowing too much on how to actually obtain a dollhouse kit, I opted for the 50% off coupon from ACMoore, (because they sold them right there in the store!), grabbed the biggest one they sold and off I went...

I made sooo many mistakes... I over-prepared for it, over-bought for it and over-did it!!!  I had soo many ideas, but really no focus or knowledge on how to do anything.  I painted everything, before even inventoried or labeled it!!!  I ended up painting parts of the connectors that would later have to slide together, which by the way, in case you didn't know, painted wood doesn't slide.  Dry-fit?  I didn't know what that word so I didn't do it.  I had no clue really...

I got the foundation assembled (oh my what a disaster) and my DH helped me brick it, then sold it on Ebay...there were many reasons why, but regardless of what they are now, it's gone, however, it did go to a great home...(the lady that bought it had built a dollhouse for each of her three daughters and this was for her). 

For that house, one of my grand plans was to add more room... I ended up getting two of the two-story side addition kits... (one for each side of course!)
I am (of course) going to add one to the side of the house, though I'm still in debate on which side of the house to add it to.  I am unsure whether or not I want to expand the kitchen and make a separate dining room, (adding it to the left side) or make a family rec room/office (adding it to the right side).  Part of me is leaning to adding it to the right because I don't want my family to have to walk through the master bedroom on the second floor in order to get to it...looks like I have some more planning to do... :)

1 comment:

  1. I am with you! Add it to the right. Dining rooms are so fun to decorate. I don't have one in my house.

    ReplyDelete