Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My First Built-In ~

If you belong to any of the miniature forums that I do, you've already seen my pictures of this, but I thought I would follow it up with a detailed post. 

I had been playing around with the staircase  staircase wall for the first floor and came up with the idea to create a built-in.  I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do, but I remembered I had a half-scale Houseworks bookcase in my miniature stash


I first measured out where on the wall the stairs and the bookcase would go I then created a support behind the bookcase to make up the difference in the width.  I decided it should be flush with the staircase rather than sit in...


I then used a template and cut the triangle piece that goes between the staircase and the bookcase, and then did the same for the top piece...


I then built out the opposite side piece, and wrapped it around the corner... I supported everything from behind in the same way as the bookcase, it's a bit wonky looking but no-one will see that once it's finished. 


I next need to paper the staircase wall, attach the staircase and built-in unit to the wall, and mud, sand, paint and paper, but I'm really happy with how everything came out...

No comments:

Post a Comment