Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Fairfield... All In A Day's Work...

If anyone is wondering, more/different items will be uploaded to my Ebay account on Monday for sale... :)

So I will be honest and say I'm not sure just how much blogging I will actually do on this house, but I had some free time and wanted to show you what one can do in one day!  :P

#1 - Take a picture of the box...

#2 - R&P almost ALL of the pieces, (even though you tell yourself you are not going to punch them all out, but you start on the sanding process, then get into a mode where you don't want to have to pick up this mess another day and another day and another day so you just do it anyways, good thing you labeled everything)...

#3 - Curse yourself over and over again for buying a die-cut house and not keeping tweezers nearby for the inevitable splinters, and the sanding mess you made all over your newly cleaned workspace.

#4 - Clean and Vacuum your messy workspace.

#5 - Change your clothes because they are covered in little wood chippings/splinters/dust.

#6 - Assemble the base, the fireplaces and dry-fit the house.

#7- Take the dry-fit apart 4 times to re-configure the tabs to make them work.

#8 - Play with some of your furniture that isn't even assembled yet just to see how it will look.

The #8 is where I'll pick up...  I will say that once on a miniature board, someone once said to me that you will never be able to fit the SDK/Miss Lydia Pickett kitchen into a Fairfield...

Said Kitchen...
Yes, it's a bit large, but there was no other kitchen that I honestly even liked.  This one fit the theme of furniture I am going with.  I bit the bullet and decided to purchase anyway, and modify it to something that would work for me.  I already knew I would have to fill in the side door, but not just for the kitchen, (more on that later).  Once I put the house in dry fit I took out some parts of the three major components...

Here's a layout I came up with...
The unit against the staircase is the pantry/double oven, the back wall is the left corner cabinet, (the cooktop) and under the window is the sink... The wall cabinets will also go on the main/back wall... I may switch the cooktop cabinet for the sink cabinet, but I also like the sink under the window...

The shelving under the stairs will be eliminated for a solid corner, and the pantry will bump out to look like one continuous unit with the cooktop cabinets.  I will do some trim/modifications here and there, but so much less than I expected it to be. 

I don't care that there is no space for a table, I have no use for an eat-in kitchen as the dining room is right there, however I think I could put in an island with a stool or maybe a small round table w/two chairs...

The sink counter even fits right at the window ledge for my liking, so I will have to alter how I do interior window trim and the backsplash, but it's better than being too high!  I can also lower this if I have to...there's a bottom lip on the base counters that could easily be eliminated... I plan to cut down the side of the counter a little so the sink is more centered under the window, but honestly I could not be happier right now!!!


1 comment:

  1. Look like a good plan. A couple months ago I built the SDK kitchen. Nice little set.

    ReplyDelete