Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fairfield Kitchen and Bath Pt. #2

I'm really hoping that trim is as forgiving as everyone else claims it is, because I'm going to need a LOT of it!

I had a few more structural needs to address before any permanent gluing could take place, so I tried to hammer out those details in one day.  The first was to cut the wiring channel for the kitchen light.

I'm using a Houseworks 1/2scale Tulip ceiling lamp.  There are many 1/2scale fixtures out there, most of which are out of my price range.  While I do intend to add lights, it's going to be on a budget, and it's only going to be one, maybe two lights to a room.  This works perfectly for my kitchen...

I found the center of the room and drilled my hole, then drilled the channel, (my dremel made short work of these tasks).  I am going to run the light down the exterior side of the kitchen, hidden behind some trim.  I next painted the ceiling, but I'm going to opt to cover it with something instead, just have to find the right something. 

I then began measuring and cutting the siding for the entire house.  I had just wanted to get the kitchen walls done, wanting full use of the walls for cutting out un-sided areas. 

I used used Houseworks 1/4"lap width, 12"Length.  I had one package already that included 10 sheets and wanted to keep going, really just to see how much more I would need to purchase.  I worked conservatively to make sure that I could get the most out of these 10 sheets and ended up getting the entire house pre-cut.  I do not need any additional siding!!!  (Happy dance in the budget!)... 

I've seen other Fairfields with different combinations of siding, shingles, bead board, etc.  I am siding pretty much everything.  The three side walls, (with the attic peaks) will be partial sided, the peaks will be shingled.  There was no crazy math involved in deciding where the siding would end and the shingles begin, to be completely honest I didn't want to waste any siding, so the shingles will begin where a full width of siding ends (siding from the very bottom), it really just eliminates cutting small amount off, and makes for cleaner lines. 

I'm very hopeful that the trim will be as forgiving as I've read...there will probably be more trim on the house than I'd like, but it will help to cover up the wonky edges that my saw created.  I used a mitre box saw with (I believe) a 42TPI blade, (the small teeth blade)...even with the smaller teeth it's a little jaggedy at the edges, but trim will (have to) cover! :)


1 comment:

  1. I have bought so many different saw blades just incase I need a finer tooth etc
    ...I still go back to my exacto blades ;P

    It will turn out great!

    ReplyDelete