Saturday, March 3, 2012

FINALLY...the real work begins...

So I was finally able to get the sanding finished!!!

Once the walls were all clean and clear I went to work almost immediately, I was way too psyched with my progress to stop.  I primed all the walls with Kilz; after working with various primers I have found that I prefer the Kilz the best, if I have it on hand.  Now that everything has been primed, I need to do a light sanding coat from the primer and then start adding the color.  I will put only two coats on the walls because I want the color to remain light.  Lucky for me any additional sanding on this part is easier. 

I next started on the front door...

I had ordered two doors to combine into one.  I ordered the 1/2scale palladian door and the 1/2scale traditional 4-panel door to create the look that I want.  The first step was to cut the door itself to fit the new frame, which I only take from the bottom.  At 1/2scale this is much easier to hide than in full scale where I would have cut equally from the top and bottom to make it fit. 
I then sanded it to make sure it was straight... and it ended up fitting perfectly the first time!!! :)

Next was to paint.  The frame is Wicker White and the door is Country Apple by Folk-Art.

I need a few more clean up coats on the front of the door to really make the red stand out the way I want it to, but I'm pretty happy with how it looks. 

I must admit, 1/2scale lovers block your ears, that I'm getting quite bored with my little farmhouse.  I'm really wanting to move onto bigger and better things, i.e. my WOODSTOCK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment