Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Fairfield Kitchen ~ Part I

I mentioned in a previous post (or two) that I'd built out a new small wall in the kitchen which eliminiated the kitchen pantry/closet.  I didn't find it necessary to have that element in the kitchen due to the large pantry piece going into the room. 

I got that all glued together and filled in, then I realized the side closest to the dining room needed some work.

Here's the "Before" shot...
 The wall is very crooked to the main wall, that needed to be altered before I could continue, as I didn't want the wallpaper or anything else to mess up because of this one little section...

The "After" shot...
I used some trim-stock that I had in my stash to fix the wall.  It looks odd like this, but it will be covered with wallpaper so it doesn't really matter...

I also mentioned in previous posts that I cut the wiring channel for the kitchen light, and that I found a new ceiling paper, it's by Mini-Graphics and I really like it.  It's just plain white with a small texture design to it.  I installed that permanently and then installed the light... (the light at this point is still remove-able). 


When I install my ceiling paper, I make little laps/ridges that come down the side walls, (you can see in the above photo), to help ensure that I haven't missed any spots with either bad measurements or crooked walls or what-not. 

I then got to work on the kitchen floor.  I used the embossed paper-backed tile floor sheets that I got from Earth and Tree.  These were a quite easy installation.  I used a template for the floor and marked where I needed to cut, and cut to fit.  Being paper-backed I glued it on with wallpaper mucliage. 


I definitely had to piece together the floor in a couple spots, I know that I was left with a seam, but I'm really happy with how it came out overall.  I cleaned it and covered it with my favorite finish, Varda protective glaze by Ikea.  It came out beautifully in person, (this shot is before the cleaning and glaze), I am hoping that once the cabinets are in, the walls are up and the decor is finished, you won't be able to tell where the seam is...  We shall see!

I then tore it up...

I kept going back to the seams, (three of them) and finding them each and every time I looked at the floor.  I knew that wouldn't do.  It also kept screaming to me "STERILE!"...it seemed soo sterile for my design direction with this house... I hated to do it, (because it was pricey), but I will use what I have left over for the bathroom...I think I can warm it up in the bathroom...

I opted instead to carry the wood floors that will be in the rest of the house into the kitchen...
The entire floor will be stained to the darker color that you see, (I had stained some pieces for color reference), (the entire house flooring will be this color also), the stained pieces just happened to be the right length so after ripping up tile I figured waste-not-want-not... :P

Close-up
If you can tell my little pattern design in the floor.  I have yet to see this design in miniature, (at least to the level I plan to take it), and I really like it.  A visual effect for the eye... I got the idea from another Fairfield in a blog and on the Greenleaf forum.  I saw it in her attic around the chimney stack and thought it would be really cool to do it...I have some ideas of where-else I will take this design also. 

I thought I would leave you with one last image...I keep saying "shabby-chic"...here are some of my design ideas/decisions... you will have to wait to see where and how these items are though...

1 comment:

  1. Love that couch! I have that set for my Victorianna

    ReplyDelete